What is better than delicious warm soup on a rainy day like this? Cozy up with a bowl of our Butternut Squash & Sage Brown Butter Soup!
2 medium Butternut Squash, cut in half lengthwise & seeded
1 large Sweet Potato, cut in half lengthwise
¼ cup Olive Oil
½ loaf Baguette, thinly sliced
2 cloves Garlic
¾ cup Fresh Apple or Orange Juice
3+ cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
1 cup ½ & ½, room temp, optional
¼ cup Pepitas (Roasted Pumpkin Seeds), optional
6 each Sage Leaves, thinly sliced
1/3 cup Butter
to taste Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the squash & sweet potato halves on an oiled or nonstick sheet tray into the oven for 25-35 minutes until cooked through & tender. Let cool slightly & remove the flesh from the skins.
- Place the olive oil on a plate. Dip on side of each slice of baguette in the oil to coat. Season with salt & Pepper. Place in the over for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Lightly rub the whole garlic on each crostini.
- Heat the butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat until it starts to brown. Remove from the heat, let cool for a few minutes; add the sage, and set aside.
- Place the squash, sweet potato, orange juice, some stock (the more added, the thinner the soup will be), ½ & ½, & the sage brown butter into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth & adjust seasoning with salt & pepper. If needed reheat in a pot on low heat.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with the pepitas & garlic toasts.
-sheet tray -stirring spoon
-cook’s knife -sauce pot
-bread knife -blender or food processor